Monday, July 26, 2010

Racing Through Chicago

Ready...Set...Race!

On Monday, 200 of my fellow interns and I descended upon Chicago to take part in the "Amazing Race", a team building type activity that took us all throughout the city of Chicago. IT WAS CRAZY! We were given clues that lead us to various landmarks throughout the city like Wrigley Field, Sears Tower, Second City, and Buckingham Fountain. Once we made it to those landmarks, we had to do crazy things to get points, like singing "Take Me Out to The Ballgame" while outside of Wrigley Field. It was a really cool way to see different places in the city, and we got money to do it. SUSAN: I went to the hotdog place. And ate one. But I forgot a photo :(

One of the other ways we could get points was by getting random items like Cubs hats, wine corks, shotglasses, and McDonald's toys to name a few. So what happened to all of these things at the end? We got them! So, the three of us got Chicago hats, wine bottles, and shot glasses...and decided to party it up in the limo on the way back. Hence, the crazy the photos that are now going to be on the blog. Sorry Andy and Keith, you are now living in infamy.

The rest of the week managed to pass by uneventfully -- the interns are gearing up for the poster presentation that is taking place up at Abbott Park this Thursday, so we have been going to craft stores and Walmart to try and find everything that's needed for the posters. Mine is called "An AMD Summary", and is an overview of the products that AMD puts out. Mainly, it's because a lot of people still don't know what AMD does since it has only been up and running for about five years now.

While Keith is going above and beyond with his poster on the Plex-ID, I'm just trying to get mine done. I'm basing it off of the IMDb website, so that way the other interns can kind of draw parallels. And so then I don't have to be as creative.

By the way, I went and saw "Inception" on Thursday night -- it was a great use of $10, by the way. It was one of those movies that continues to make me think even days afterward. It was incredibly interesting, mind bending, and one of those movies that leaves you walking out of the theater trying to figure out something that you can't quite put your finger on. Don't worry, I won't say anymore, however I highly recommend it to anyone who is on the fence about seeing it. Once you do....let me know, and we can trade theories!

On Saturday I almost didn't head into the city...it was raining! Once it stopped, I went into the city, and they were having MASSIVE flooding problems. I went to the north side of the city to the Chicago History Museum, and it was a very interesting museum. It was really cool to see the history behind the start of Chicago, and then all of the famous and infamous events that have happened in their past. There were exhibits on the deep dish pizza, the origin of the hot dog, Al Capone, the Great Chicago Fire (by the way, the City of Chicago exonerated Mrs. O'Leary AND her cow a few years ago of any wrong doing in the Chicago Fire), and many other events throughout history. There was also one about the Playboy Club, which I thought was funny.

Also, I decided that if I somehow end up in the Chicago area after college, I am going to get married at the Chicago History Museum. I somehow manged to wander into the banquet hall, and as I glanced outside, my breath was taken away. It was gorgeous outside, and gorgeous inside. 

Afterward, I was making my way back to the El station to go downtown (on an errand I'll write about in a paragraph after this one), when I, on a whim, decided to turn left instead of straight and walk through Old Town. A great decision, I must say so. I found what I decided to call the "Chicago Freedom Trail" (in honor of the few times my mother had us walk the infamous Boston Freedom Trail....I'm assuming it wasn't actually that horrible, but family legend and lore has made it miles longer than it was and uphill both ways). It was plaques at various points along the street that gave the history of Old Town. Now, if that wasn't the best part, I found a fudge shop called "The Fudge Pot". IT WAS DELICIOUS. Of course, delicious chocolate doesn't come cheap...the brick of a chocolate caramel was completely worth it though.

So, now onto the real reason why I was heading downtown. The SWE National headquarters are located in Chicago, and I figured since I was in town, I should go by and see them (it was like a nerdy pilgrimage). After walking out of my way for about 10 minutes, I finally found the right place. It is right near the Chicago Board of Trade, which has been featured in movies like The Dark Night and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and will be in Transformers 3. So, the office building where SWE is located is in those movies, too! I felt really nerdy when I wandered inside to see the listing of companies and explained why I was there to the doorman. She seems to find it funny though, and let me wander around the lobby, which was nice and cool while it was muggy and nasty outside.

Another delicious food item of Chicago's is Garrett's popcorn, which is know for it's "ChicagoMix", which is caramel corn and cheese corn mixed together. While it sounds kind of gross, it is actually DELICIOUS! I stopped by on my way to the El station (ok, actually, I went three blocks out of my way, but I REALLY wanted that popcorn) to get myself some "gourmet" popcorn, and finally headed back to Des Plaines.

Surgical Science Museum next weekend? I hope so!

Lesley

1 comment:

  1. Woman, you were supposed to order the chocolate milkshake! Oh, and did they swear at you?

    ReplyDelete